• 2nd line engineer for an independent I.T. Company providing Sales, Support, Service & more - Gloucester, Gloucestershire.
Providing telephone, remote, and on-site support, fault diagnosis, assistance & server & network administration support to clients.
This covers: Administration, maintenance, repair and support of Server, UPS, Desktop, Laptop, Printer, Network, Internet, ADSL, SDSL,
Bonded-ADSL, domain, e-mail & Telecoms support,
Management, Administration, Configuration, & support of Routers, Modems, Switches, Servers.
There are elements of billing, quoting, database management, research & development.
• Computer & Telecoms Engineer for AKCS - Alan Kelsall Computer Services Ltd - Whitehaven, Cumbria.
Configured, installed and maintained Client/Server Networks, & PABX Telephone systems including structured cabling and VoIP.
Managed the specification, hosting environment, search engine optimisation & design of website & email for AKCS Ltd
Specified, managed, and maintained the hosted websites & email for AKCS's clients.
While at AKCS, I gained MCP certifications (70-291, 70-290, 70-270).
• Customer Retail Engineer for Manpower PLC but exclusively contracted to IBM Global Services
Maintained, installed, repaired & supported:
• IBM's range of EPoS systems & ancillaries (cash-drawers, printers, displays), server & server peripherals, backup devices.
• IBM's range of Laptop & desktop products in both business & domestic environments.
• Dell's desktop products in both business environments.
• Photo-Kiosks (printer, receipt printer, base units)
• Provided fault diagnosis assistance & additional support to Network & Printer divisions (both low and high volume printers).
(This included repair & servicing of dot matrix, laser, and shuttle printers).
• Regularly provided on-site support at banks, supermarkets, government, & industrial sites including nuclear sites,
While contracted to IBM, I gained certification in IBM Netfinity Problem Determination & Fault Rectification.
I also completed two short courses, an IEEE short course - introduction to Power Supplies, and a Bass pubs EPoS course.
• Technician for Alan Kelsall Computer Services
• Technician for West Cumbria Computers Ltd
• Trainee Technician for Cumbria Computers Ltd
• Trainee Technician for JQL
• Glass collector & cleaner for Pentakan Ltd. (West Cumbria did not have many I.T. jobs in 1994!)